PDA

View Full Version : Some sceneries at night

lovefilm
2007 September 6th, 20:55
Well it's not totally at night because some parts were shot at dusk :). Please let me know if you have any comments.

Here is the DivX version. This version is recommended but you will need to download and install the divX web player in order to view the clip
http://stage6.divx.com/user/lovefilm/video/1603292/Hawaiian-Night

Here is the not so clear Youtube version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dne9mDs-ABk

Here is the link for the original version. You can click on the “download now” button to download. It's 166 MB.
http://files.filefront.com/Hawaiiaan+Night/;8480027;/fileinfo.html

SmirkySmirker
2007 September 8th, 23:35
I watched the video and a lot of the shots had some weird lines and fuzz in them, what causes this? And is it something that all HV20 owners have to deal with?

lovefilm
2007 September 9th, 15:53
I'm not sure what you meant. I suspect what you saw is some kind of artifact due to compression. Can you give me some examples from the clip?

SmirkySmirker
2007 September 9th, 20:26
Look at the shot at 2:53 for a good example, you can see this in a bunch of the scenes as well.

Matthew MD
2007 September 9th, 22:29
those lines and fuzz, are the electronic gain. The camcorder adds this to make it look like it preformes good in low light. You can do the "exposure lock using a light source" trick to get rid of the grain and lines but it will darken your footage.. I dont care if it reduces the light, It looks better then without it.

CJDaniels
2007 September 10th, 00:18
Nothing says Hawaii at night like Walmart, Applebee's and In and Out Burger.

transducr
2007 September 10th, 01:00

Hahaha...

lovefilm
2007 September 10th, 04:30
those lines and fuzz, are the electronic gain. The camcorder adds this to make it look like it preformes good in low light. You can do the "exposure lock using a light source" trick to get rid of the grain and lines but it will darken your footage.. I dont care if it reduces the light, It looks better then without it.

You're correct. Those lines and fuzz are electronic gain. I shot with Tv mode and could see the gain on the LCD while filming also. Later I had to denoise a lot in post to reduce the gain.

lovefilm
2007 September 10th, 04:31

Hehehe you must be from Hawaii. I added that shot as a little prank to see how many people can recognize it :hv20-smilie03: By the way, there is Walmart in Hawaii.

MicheleW
2007 September 21st, 22:10
Hi - Can you tell me if you shot this using the "night" feature? Thanks.

P.S. I lived in Hawaii for about a year and recognize many of the scenes (lived in Honolulu and Kaimuki).

lovefilm
2007 September 22nd, 18:08
Hi - Can you tell me if you shot this using the "night" feature? Thanks.

P.S. I lived in Hawaii for about a year and recognize many of the scenes (lived in Honolulu and Kaimuki).

It's nice to know that you used to live in Hawaii :-). I shot the clip mostly in Tv mode with the speed around 1/30 or 1/60. There are some clips that were shot in Cinemode also but they came out too dark.

MicheleW
2007 September 22nd, 23:59
Hi - Thanks for the info. I plan on having a place in Hawaii again some day. I just love it there.